Hunger-striking inmate’s issue referred to Ombudsman

Southern Governorate Prosecution Chief said that the Public Prosecution had received a notification from the Reformation and Rehabilitation Centre, indicating that an inmate who is serving a sentence in terrorist crimes that pose a threat to the kingdom’s security, had gone on a hunger strike and refuses to stop it.

The Public Prosecution visited the Reformation and Rehabilitation Centre on Sunday, met the inmate, advised him to end his hunger strike and was informed about his statements regarding the issue.

During the investigations, the inmate said that he had gone on a hunger strike following the refusal of the centre’s administration to allow him to contact his relatives like other inmates, as well as for confiscating documents he intends to send to his family, without any justifications.

On the other hand, the inmate confirmed receiving the necessary health care he needs, the treatment prescribed for him and the medicines dispensed to him in a proper way and on a regular basis, in addition to receiving nutrients whenever he needs them, the Chief Prosecutor said.

He added that the Public Prosecution, while reviewing the call records of the inmates, found that the concerned inmate had been able to make seven private video calls between April and July this year.

The Reformation and Rehabilitation Centre also reported that the inmate’s papers had been seized while being taken out of the prison, in violation of the instructions in force in this regard, he also said.

The Public Prosecution notified the Office of the Ombudsman about the inmate’s allegations of being prevented from contacting his relatives, as well as the confiscation of his personal documents in order to follow up on the issue.

Source: Bahrain News Agency

Leave a Reply